( If you purchase through our sponsored links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you )
Skateboarding is an art itself. With the widespread use of technology, learning and spreading skateboard tricks through videos have become much more popular nowadays. But when it comes down to recording these skating clips, having only the best boarding skills is just not enough.
What you need is one of the best skateboard cameras that can capture crystal clear images and film videos in an easy way. It also must have long battery life and high resolution. Moreover, it should not be much heavier to carry on.
Here, I shortlisted 9 top cameras with their detailed reviews along with an in-depth buying guide. In the end, I also added some FAQs to remove any doubts that may have been perplexing you in choosing the best.
- 1 Best Cameras For Skateboarding Reviewed
- 2 1. GoPro Hero 9 Camera (Best Camera for Filming Skate Videos and Pictures )
- 3 2. Akaso EK7000 Wide Angle Action Camera (Best Budget Camera Having All)
- 4 3. Sony Alpha A6100 Mirrorless Camera (Best for Crystal Clear Images)
- 5 4. Rosdeca 4K Video Camera (Best for Filming Skateboarding)
- 6 5. Actinow Video Camera 4K Camcorder (Best Value For The Money)
- 7 6. Sauleoo 4K Camcorder (Best Affordable Camcorder for Skating)
- 8 7. Canon Vixia R800 Camera (Best Portable Camcorder)
- 9 8. Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Camcorder (Best 4K Skate Shooting Camcorder)
- 10 9. Canon Digital SLR Camera Kit [Rebel T6] (Best DSLR Camera for Skateboarding)
- 11 Best Skateboarding Cameras – Consumer’s Guide
- 12 FAQs About Best Skateboarding Cameras
- 13 Video Tutorial For Filming Skateboarding
- 14 Final Words
Best Cameras For Skateboarding Reviewed
There are loads of lenses and cameras out there in the market. But which is the best to shoot skateboarding? After going through an in-depth review of each of the above cameras, I have no doubt you are going to pick one for you! Go check and add to the cart:
1. GoPro Hero 9 Camera (Best Camera for Filming Skate Videos and Pictures )
If you claim to be a pro and want supreme quality videos, GoPro Hero 9 is the perfect choice for you. A small, compact black-colored action camera that promises to capture your good moments with great resolution.
The GoPro Hero 9 offers you a 20-MP lens with a detailed 5K resolution. The Super photo, webcam and HDR modes help you capture pro-quality images with high details and reduced blur, even in low light. Its digital lenses allow you to take ultra-wide shots using Superview mode.
The Advanced Wind-Noise Reduction feature filters out unwanted wind noises. Time Warp 3.0, 23.6 mp sensor lets you make smooth time-lapse videos that automatically adjust speed based on motion, scene detection, and lighting.
On the other hand, it offers 8X Slo-Mo with an ultra-high 14.7 mp frame rate with 1080p, to record impressive videos so you can relive moments steadily. For this, your slow-motion skateboarding videos will now be more intense and detailed than ever before.
Again, when it comes down to durability, the GoPro Hero 9 is solid. It is rugged and waterproof, down to 33 feet. An action camera with a streamlined design also makes the max lens more impact-proof than its previous models.
But the most amazing feature that separates it from all its other competitors is hyper smooth stabilization, which gives the best in the class image and video stabilization even in extremely shaky conditions.
To me, this is the best camera for skateboarding. You can mount it on your helmet or use it as a Handycam, if needed, for its compact design.
Again, skateboarding is a motile sport that begets tremblings. Thus, the video stabilization feature can create better skateboarding memories with lesser jerks. In short, if you are serious about filming skateboarding, this is the best option to choose and I highly recommend this camera.
- Small, pocket-size compact design, lightweight, and easy to use.
- It can be used anyway; great versatility.
- 5K high resolution with a 14.7 frame rate.
- Great time-lapse and slow-mo capturing features.
- Rugged, waterproof, and impact-proof; so fewer chances of accidental fall damages.
- Best image stabilization
- A bit expensive but worth it.
If you are looking for an updated version of Hero 9, you check out GO Pro Hero 10 which has a changed 5.3K60 Ultra HD Video and 23mp photos for better video recording and extra powerful image capturing capabilities.
2. Akaso EK7000 Wide Angle Action Camera (Best Budget Camera Having All)
Want to switch to an Ultra HD camera from a traditional HD camera without spending a fortune? Probably you can not find a better choice than this. It has wifi connectivity. It is waterproof as well. So many amazing features to take pictures of skateboarding in a little cute device.
Akaso EK7000 also has wireless wrist remote technology. Whether you want to capture skate moments or get a full skating video, the 2.4G wrist remote is going to help you a lot.
Its 16MP lens is going to give you incredible quality photos. The photos are of 4K quality and they are as live as natural moments. The battery life is also long. You will be given two 1050 mAh batteries with it and each of them can record up to one and a half hours approximately.
You will have built-in HDMI and wifi to share your priceless moments with ease. The available Akaso Go app is going to help you in this regard. Indoor or outdoor, over the water or under the water, Akaso EK7000 is going to give you perfect company in order to keep your precious moments safe and undistorted.
All in all, since the camera is budget-friendly, you can add this to your cart for someone very special as a skateboard gift.
- Cheap skate camera
- 4K quality amazing skateboarding photos can be captured. Also, the recording rate is quite good, 30 frames per second.
- Built-in Wifi and HDMI technology.
- Long battery life.
- Waterproof. Also, it performs well in rough and tough conditions.
- After using the camera for a couple of years, it could become warmer within a short time.
3. Sony Alpha A6100 Mirrorless Camera (Best for Crystal Clear Images)
Sony is undoubtedly the king in the world of cameras. Though some of them are quite expensive, they are always on the top list. You will never regret buying a Sony camera for your skateboarding video and images. The Alpha A6100 is also on that outstanding list.
Alpha A6100 has the world’s fastest AF. It has an object tracking feature and 0.02 sec W/real-time AF. Also, the AF area is wide and has super-fast acquisition speed. The AF coverage has 425 contrast-detection points. Pinpoint accuracy gives you a crystal clear image and its internal algorithm predicts the subject’s future location quite well.
This camera also has a silent shooting feature of up to 8 frames per second. And in normal shooting mode, it can catch up to 11 frames per second. 77 continuous shots can be taken in a single burst shot.
Photography in low light is often a problem for many photographers. Usually, orthodox cameras grab blurry images when they are working in low light. But the Alpha A6100 has dimly lit settings that are going to give you cleaner images even in quite a dark environment.
- Superfast AF with high acquisition speed.
- Realistic color reproduction gives a natural and lively feel in every picture it takes.
- It has a high-resolution 4k movie recording feature.
- Owes Built-in flexible low angle shooting feature.
- Dark sensitivity is quite high and can take amazingly clear photos in a dim environment.
- Pretty Good skate camera in filming skate videos and pictures.
- Has fewer features than other cameras of the same features. But no doubt the existing features are outstanding.
4. Rosdeca 4K Video Camera (Best for Filming Skateboarding)
A 4K supporting camera without a lofty price, the Rosdeca 4K Video Camera or camcorder is a good means to satisfy your hunger for skateboarding clips. Budget-friendly and easy to use, this camera can be a good choice for filming your skateboarding experiences.
With a 48MP lens and a 13MP CMOS sensor, high-quality videos and clear images can be shot. Videos can be recorded at 4K(2880*2160), 2K(2560*1440), FHD(1920*1080), and HD(1280*720) resolutions respectively, though the picture quality is not fascinating.
Again, 16x zoom also helps to get sight of scenes you are far away from and the 3.0″ rotatable touch screen display allows you to see your frame while capturing selfies while skating. It also supports time-lapse which can summarize your longboarding experiences.
The camcorder actually comes in a fully-fledged package that includes some essential complimentary items, e.g, an external microphone that records better than the in-built mic; a wide-angle lens to hold wider capturing frames; two lithium-ion batteries for the camera which can sometimes be life-saving; an SD card, etc.
It also includes an infrared night light or LED light so that you can take videos and photos even in the dark. The camera can also be used as a Webcam when connected to a PC with a USB cable(included).
The device is lightweight, handy, and comes with a 1-year warranty and one month of free replacement or refund warranty.
The Rosdeca is a fairly cheap and entry-level camera and doesn’t perform like pro cameras. Still, you can capture your skateboarding moments with fine resolution, though things can be a bit quaky due to a lack of high image stabilization.
- It offers a 4K picture resolution.
- It can be used for multi-purposes.
- Includes various items in the package which provide better performance.
- Cheap and budget-friendly.
- Not a high-grade camera so, not for pros.
5. Actinow Video Camera 4K Camcorder (Best Value For The Money)
Yet another 4K supporting, easy to operate the camera at an affordable price, the Actinow Video Camera 4K Camcorder has 48MP lens along with 13MP CMOS image sensor which provides basic performance in the maximum resolution of 4K.
Connectivity between smartphones and the camera can be established through an app and by wifi which enables data sharing.
Actinow Camera package includes –
- The video camera
- Camera manual
- USB cable
- HDMI cable
- External shotgun microphone
- Wide Angle Lens
- LED video light
- Rechargeable lithium battery
- DV Bag(used to put the camera)
- Camera bag(used to put the camera and all the accessories)
- The promising Actinow 4K Camcorder is quite an exact similar alternative to the Rodesca 4K Video Camera except for some certain package items. Else, both the cameras are similar in performance and features.
Though I feel the Rodesca is a bit better along with its bundle additions you can buy either one and still remain happy with your onboard shots.
- Records Ultra HD 4K videos.
- Easy to operate.
- The camera bag digests all package items together.
- Value for money.
- Not for pros.
6. Sauleoo 4K Camcorder (Best Affordable Camcorder for Skating)
The Sauleoo 4K Camcorder is the cheapest of all the cameras on this list.
Very easy to use this beginner-level camera has a 30MP lens with a CMOS sensor and 16x digital zoom that helps produce 4K Ultra HD(2880×2160) resolution videos at 24fps.
Its remote control function grants you to operate it on our own, without even touching the camera. Just fix the camera at a tripod or any shelter base and command with the remote; shooting skating videos becomes easier than ever. You can also click snaps while you record a video.
This camera package also consists of two 1500mAh batteries for uninterrupted capturing. The camera itself is pretty lightweight and handy.
To summarize, this camera is pretty cheap and still manages to perform neatly. It offers 4K which is not similar to what pro cameras offer but its remote control feature and fair enough picture and video characteristics make it the best skateboard camera option at its price point.
- 4K resolution videos.
- It can be controlled by a remote.
- One of the cheapest at its price point.
- The picture resolution is satisfactory.
7. Canon Vixia R800 Camera (Best Portable Camcorder)
A camcorder that can be used for multiple purposes is the Canon Vixia. In the market of camcorders, this is a mid-range and good performing Handycam that can aid you in shooting your flashy skateboarding skills.
The camera package consists of the camcorder, a hefty and high capacity BP-727 battery pack, an original CA-110 power adapter to recharge your camera fast and safe, an HDMI cable to connect the camcorder to your TV to enrich viewing experience and a USB cable to connect to your PC or laptop for data sharing.
The Canon HF R800 camera has a 3.0-inch capacitive touch panel LCD screen which is 270° rotatable, enabling you to see your capturing frame easily, even if you are in front of your lens! Selfies can be clicked without worries about looks, thanks to the rotatable display.
It also has 57x Advanced Zoom that allows you to shoot things that are quite a bit away from you, without compromising much on picture quality. This feature is more garnished by the SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization which helps correct camera shakes pretty quickly. Fairly sharp and steady clips can be recorded even when handheld.
The Vixia records at full HD standard picture resolution of 1080p with 60fps. Furthermore, you still get a slow and fast motion recording feature which may not be as premium as in the GoPro Hero8 but is nevertheless an advantage.
This camcorder for skateboarding also has a simple, yet lifesaving at times, function of File Lock which ensures your data doesn’t become the victim of accidental operational errors. It also has a built-in video editor so you edit on the go.
It might not perform best in low light but reciprocates it with its great daylight picture and video quality. Lastly, it is lightweight, portable, and is backed up with a high-capacity battery that lets you shoot for long periods and still doesn’t heat much.
To conclude, if you are a beginner or amateur and want to experiment with filming skateboarding, this is a very good option to go for. Use it in a tripod or hold it in your hand while skating, you can enjoy a great capturing experience.
- Lightweight and has a high battery backup.
- Zooms up to 57x and still produces sharp images.
- Image stabilization is very good at preventing jerky pictures.
- Long battery life enables fewer obstructions to shoot.
- Mid budget camera
- No 4K or ultra-high resolution.
- It doesn’t have specs of a pro-level camera and so will not perform like a pro.
8. Sony FDRAX53/B 4K HD Camcorder (Best 4K Skate Shooting Camcorder)
In my list of the seven best cameras for filming skateboarding, this is undoubtedly the best performing amongst all. The high in class Sony Handycam FDR-AX53/B is made to perform at the pinnacle and can be used even for professional film making purposes.
The Sony FDR-AX53 4K HD camcorder has a 26.8mm wide-angle ZEISS lens and with the Exmor R Sensor, it ensures exquisite and vivid pictures with real colors, at any condition.
Highest 20x optical zoom is offered in 4K recording which doesn’t affect the video quality at all but over that makes it perfect for close-focus macro shots.
4K resolution at 120fps video recording is promised by Sony which gives uninterrupted and smooth videos. Its powerful and lightning-fast 30X clear image-processing engine along with the B.O.SS system, with quick autofocus, ensures accurate photography even on high-speed objects.
Moreover, incredible details can be observed in super slow-motion videos because of the variable frame rate of 4K XAVC-S recording with 16.6MP. This provides up to 40x super slow motion and up to 60x quick motion (time-lapse) videos shot at as low as 1fps.
The high-resolution and a great 3” LCD just make it suitable for any demanding situation. It’s lightweight and the built quality gives a premium feel when handheld. If you have some cinematography skills, this will take your skateboarding videos to the next level.
Usually, Sony includes the FDR-AX53 4K Camcorder, an NP-FV70A rechargeable Battery Pack for Handycam Camcorders, an AC Adapter with power cord, remote control with battery, a lens hood, a lens cap and a large eyecup with the camcorder.
But if you click the link given here, you get a bundle package of important and additional accessories at a cheaper price altogether, along with the camera, which can prove to be very essential for improvising and enhancing video quality.
In simple words, this camera is just fantastic and for those who take vlogging or movie making seriously. If you know good about filming and are very serious about making ultra high-quality skateboarding videos, this is probably the best camera for you.
- Professional level performing camera.
- High-resolution 4K HDR videos can be recorded.
- Superfine macro images can be captured.
- No tripod necessary
- 40x Super Slow Motion is perfect for filming skateboarding.
- Comparatively lightweight and compact than heavyweight pro cameras.
- Improved stabilizer technology
- Expensive; can create a hole in your pocket.
9. Canon Digital SLR Camera Kit [Rebel T6] (Best DSLR Camera for Skateboarding)
Last but not the least, one of the best skateboard cameras in this list is the Canon T6 DSLR camera. It’s user friendly, apprentice level, and one of the smallest DSLRs’ in business.
Well equipped with an 18MP image sensor and 4+ DIGIC Image Processor, the T6 Rebel delivers highly detailed and vibrant photos and videos even in low light conditions. Scene Intelligent Auto mode ensures proper AF even on objects in motion.
Videos can be recorded in Full HD of 1080p and HD(720p) at 30fps and 60fps respectively, with smooth and fabulous detailing. In addition, built-in Wifi and NFC grants wireless data sharing instant and simple.
The product comes with a special 2 zoom lens kit, an EF-S 18-55mm, and an EF 75-300mm, which provides you with more diversity of choosing your preferable shots, whether near or far away objects.
These two lenses make this camera more suitable for recording your on-deck moments with the best details possible. With advanced AF, high-definition photos and videos would be just a click away.
At this price, this camera, along with the lenses, is worth every penny. This really makes Rebel T6 one of the best cameras for filming skateboarding.
- User friendly.
- Ensures high-quality photos and videos.
- Zoom lenses produce a better image and picture quality.
- Price is low compared to other DSLRs’.
- A bit bulky and thus tough and risky to be carried by the skateboarder.
Best Skateboarding Cameras – Consumer’s Guide
Before buying a camera to film skateboarding, one must keep in mind certain limiting factors before selecting a product.
Some of the most important factors are discussed below –
Skateboarding is a motile sport. Hence, in order to record skating videos that portray clear and vivid detailing, a high-defining strong-equipped camera should be chosen; a camera that can capture steady shots even if the object moves quickly.
Therefore, a camera with a higher frame rate, fps(frames per second) should be picked. The higher the frame rate, the better the picture quality; e.g a camera with a frame rate of 120fps is better than a 60fps one.
Additionally, higher picture resolution also aids in better shooting. For example, a proper 4K camera will give more details than an HD camera.
So, picture resolution is also a key factor; the higher, the better!
Your Usage Purpose
Knowing about your personal aims of using a skateboarding filming camera is pretty much necessary.
For instance, if you aren’t much keen on learning to picture or are a novice, or are intending to record skateboarding for fun and share only among friends and family, I guess a mid-range camera will do just fine for you.
But if you have good knowledge and skills in cinematography, are indulged in vigorous filming and video editing activities, and aspire to take things at a higher stage, you should go for a higher range camera as it will be a perfect match for you.
For example, the Canon Vixia R800 will do good for a beginner cum amateur camera guy, while the Sony Handycam FDR-AX700 is just the one that fits the filmers.
Again, having wide-angle frames, slow-mo, time-lapse, etc features aids to shoot skateboarding better. This should be kept in mind.
Once you’re sure about your needs, determining your budget is an essential requirement for choosing the best camera for you. Cameras can come in a range of prices, from around $100 to $2000 or more.
The budget should be fixed according to the needs. An entry-level camera is a cheaper deal than a high end configured camera.
To be very honest, expecting a pin perfect 4K resolution camera with 120fps at a price of around $50-$200 in today’s market is nothing but a daydream.
This doesn’t mean that all expensive things are the best. But it spreads light to the fact that good things come at higher price tags.
If you have enough budget, try to go for a well-known camera brand, reducing the chances of getting scammed by delusive promises of products.
Still, if you run tight on budget, cheaper options are always there for you to pounce on.
Investigate the market thoroughly for a period of time gathering information on specifications, personal needs, and price.
Check genuine reviews and clarify any certain doubts before buying. Make a shortlist of the products that fit your demands.
At last, decide the best possible option for you and turn your skateboarding picturesque real visuals into reel life milestones.
FAQs About Best Skateboarding Cameras
1. How to film skateboarding with a DSLR?
Ans: A DSLR is bulky and cannot be handheld by the skater. Thus, using a tripod and fixing the camera at a certain distance can do the job pretty fine.
But one has to be sure about the frame position and length beforehand. So, having a helping hand will do best. There are some steps to using a DSLR for skateboarding:
- Make your shutter speed double the frame rate.
- In skateboarding, around 250 shutter speed is good for slow-mo.
- Get the highest f-stop number, a minimum of 7 to a highest of 22 is good for shooting skateboarding.
- Then fix the Frame Per Second, 600 a second in skateboarding is a good setup.
- Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera is such a kind of DSLR that you can choose for your next skateboarding filming.
2. Why do skaters use fisheye?
- Fisheye is basically used to capture ultra-wide panoramic shots (180 degrees) which enlarges the dimension of the frame. Skateboarding requires adequate space and so fisheye is used.
- Using fisheye a wider panoramic frame can be obtained making sure none of your best moments go out of camera focus.
- Wide-angle lenses can create distortion and a more abstract look, but the images usually produce a more dynamic effect.
3. Which single camera out of the above will be the best?
Ans: For skateboarding or any such locomotive sport, I would prefer the GoPro Hero 9 for its supreme image stabilization, pocket-size design, and killer photographic qualities.
Video Tutorial For Filming Skateboarding
To conclude, skateboarding is a very rigorous play for which normal cameras somewhat fail to define the real sense of craft in it.
The best skateboard cameras help to redefine your talents and grant them an improvised view. However, if you read some skateboard books, you can see how skateboarders capture beautiful images and how those are depicted in a book.
Therefore, choose anyone from the above-listed best cameras and make your skateboarding moments a more memorable one.
One reason for post-skateboarding soreness is that skating uses muscles that you don't normally use during other activities. Even if you're in good shape, skating can still be taxing on your body. As...
If you want to become a professional skateboarder, it will take years of dedication and hard work. Have you ever wanted to learn how to skateboard, but didn't know how long it would take to get...