( If you purchase through our sponsored links, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you )
Planning to buy new wheels for your rough road skateboarding?
It doesn’t matter if you are into street or rough road riding, you’ll always need to have the right set of wheels to enjoy your ride.
And when it’s for rugged streets and terrain, it’s even more crucial.
Generally, softer wheels can be just perfect for rough roads. You can have the expected grip on these types of wheels. But there’s more to it.
I’m gonna explain these in detail in a moment, to be more specific, I’ll list and review the 8 best skateboard wheels for rough roads that are worth the hype and investment.
Before I go into details let’s just see my top recommendation just in case you are short in time and want to know the final pick already.
Best Skateboard Wheels for Rough Roads: Comparison Table
|Product Name||Reasons For Pick||Item Weight||Item Dimensions|
|MBS All-Terrain Wheels||Best for All Terrain||2 pounds||100mm x 65mm|
|Ricta Clouds||Best Overall||0.01 Pounds||6.69 x 3.15 x 7.09 inches|
Best Color Options
|1.5 Pounds||4.5 x 2.5 x 4.5 inches|
|CCS Cruiser Skateboard Wheels|
|Not Specified||Not specified|
|Freedare Skateboard Wheels||Best Budget||Not Specified||2.36 x 2.36 x 1.77 inches|
|Orangatang Caguama||Best For Speed||1.35 Kilograms||Not specified|
|Spitfire Wheels||Much faster and slicker||Not Specified||4 x 10 x 10 inches|
|Josopa Skateboard Wheels||Best For Rough Roads||Not Specified||4.33 x 4.33 x 1.18 inches|
- 1 Best Skateboard Wheel for Rough Roads Reviews
- 2 What to Look for When Buying Skateboard Wheels for Rough Roads
- 3 What Wheels Are Good for Rough Roads
- 3.1 Determine The Wheel’s Size
- 3.2 Determine The Wheel’s Diameter
- 3.3 Determine The Wheel’s Durometer
- 3.4 Consider Your Skateboard
- 3.5 Determine Your Purpose
- 3.6 Find Out Your Skating Place
- 3.7 Consider Your Style
- 3.8 Determine The Contact Patch of the Wheels
- 3.9 Find Out The Width of the Wheels
- 3.10 Determine The Shape of the Wheels
- 3.11 Determine the Wheels’ Brand
- 3.12 The Core of the Wheels
- 4 Frequently Asked Questions:
- 5 Final Thought
Best Skateboard Wheel for Rough Roads Reviews
It’s not enough that you have only the best skateboards, rather you should go for specialized wheels when you plan to use them for specific purposes.
So let’s discuss:
1. MBS All-Terrain Longboard Wheels (Top Pick)
Best All Terrain
Having a high-quality urethane body, it offers superior speed on all-terrain surfaces. That makes it softer wheels ideal for off-road riding also. It permits you to ride your longboard on grassy areas as well as on dirty pavement.
MBS all-terrain longboard skateboard wheels come in fabulous green, orange, and black colors. You can adjust this item on any type of longboard. Enjoy your cruising around off paths or sidewalks.
It comes with a 100mm x 65mm diameter for longboard wheels. With the 78a urethane wheels, you can experience enjoyable offroad skateboard riding. MBS all-terrain longboard wheels are softer wheels that have maximum durability, great speed.
It ensures a safe riding experience on the off-path longboarding action. With the MBS all-terrain longboard wheels, riding on sidewalks, pavement hard-packed dirt, or short grass will be much easier and safer.
This item comes with a four-piece of MBS all-terrain longboard wheels. That is ideal for all types of longboarders quiver. With the MBS all-terrain longboard wheels, you can also try the longboard skating competition.
Satisfy your needs with the MBS all-terrain longboard wheels. That comes with the 22mm OD bearings. It is a perfect fit for the beginner, seasonal longboarder, or cruiser.
- It comes with the height of 100mm
- It also comes with the width of 65mm
- The core width is 20mm with 22mm bearings.
- Off path longboard wheels
- Urethane materials for softness
- The package includes 4-pieces of longboard wheels.
- Suits for all types of longboarders
- All-terrain longboard wheels
- Ideal for seasonal, beginner or the cruiser longboarders
- Smooth riding on the off paths or sidewalk
- Larger wheels size of 100mm x 65 mm
- Fabulous green color will soothe your heart
- Not suitable for skate parking spots
On the lookout for a set of top-notch and heavy-duty wheels for cruising on rough roads? If so, then these Ricta Clouds can be your best bet as they are soft and grippy. Remember, these wheels are strong enough to withstand rough cracks and asphalt with ease.
With Ricta, even the roughest of surfaces may feel like smooth warehouse floors to you. But, they are small enough to perform tricks. Though they are not as fast as hard wheels, they are extremely comfortable and smooth.
These wheels are crafted with top-quality polyurethane and because of the flexible urethane layer, you may feel like you’re hovering over the asphalt. That’s cool!
Besides rough roads, they are also great for streets, cruising on your skateboard, as well as outdoor skateparks.
You will fall in love with Ricta clouds when you see these 78a hardness wheels get over rough roads and cracks smoothly and nicely!
Though these wheels revert and slide like harder wheels, they can cruise over rough concrete or rocks fairly well. You will be surprised how they excel the others with amazing ease.
On top of that, they seem unstoppable while paired with high-performance bearings.
Also, keep in mind that sacrificing a little amount of speed will be well worth it because you are going to get a wild amount of comfort. So, why not grab a set of Ricta Clouds right away?
- The width is 52mm that is the small size skateboard wheels
- Unique urethane materials for softer wheels
- A smart white color makes you fall in love with it
- They are incredibly fast while paired with high-performance bearings.
- Suitable for rough roads
- Top-quality urethane material makes it super durable
- Agile but small enough to carry out tricks
- Incredibly slick and fast
- Perfect for filming and just cruising
- Some reported that small wheels have difficulty on rougher terrain
3. Shark Wheels
Best Color Options
If you want unique and attractive wheels that are proven scientifically for riding on all terrains, then shark wheels will be a great choice for you.
With a durometer of 78a and a diameter of 60mm, they are suitable for rough roads, carving, cruising, as well as basic tricks.
Apart from this, because they’re wide and have got more grip and better control, these wheels are absolutely fit for sliding.
Plus, it’s designed in such a way that the thin contact patch touches the ground to generate little friction. As a result, more speed is achieved.
A sidewinder formula is also used so that the wheels can last for a longer period of time and provide a smooth ride.
Bear in mind that the wheels that are made from these formulas are typically used on rough roads such as sand, debris, pebbles, etc.
But, here’s a catch. You may be a wee bit disappointed because the bearings that are advertised together with these wheels are sold separately.
Mind you, with 1000+ ratings on Amazon, a stellar 4.7 stars overall, and 7 international competition wins, getting the ABEC-9 high-performance bearings that are recommended to use together with these wheels will be worth the investment.
Overall, it will be well worth every penny.
- Its approach angle will help you decrease impact and shock while getting over speed bumps.
- According to the brand’s claim, this set of wheels are reinvented to provide you with better maneuverability over rough roads.
- Available in 8 different dark and light colors to choose from.
- The wave pattern design of these skateboard wheels is made to minimize friction, which results in thrilling speeds.
- Heavy-duty construction
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Perfect for rough roads, carving, and cruising
- Better grip and control
- Faster with less friction
- Unique design and slides easily
- Without compromising speed, it offers more traction over rough terrains
- ABEC-9 high-performance bearings sold separately
CCS has been one of the oldest skateboard wheel manufacturers since 1985. Therefore, they have mastered the art of producing the highest-quality wheels at an affordable price. That’s cool!
If you are in need of a set of do-it-all wheels, then these CCS Skateboard Wheels are exactly what you’re looking for.
With a diameter of 57mm, these CCS wheels are versatile for cruising as well as rolling over cracks and debris seamlessly.
As it is constructed with top-quality urethane, you will be able to ride over the roughest surfaces while offering a comfortable and stable glide.
Also, keep in mind that a wheel that is made up of Urethane can easily absorb shock on rough surfaces like bumps. This is exactly why urethane wheels are the best option for rough roads.
For those of you who are a rider with a tight budget, it can be a great option. In addition, since it comes with a minimalist design, it will also work great for any setup.
While going over the rough surfaces, you won’t have to stifle your ride, because these wheels are good enough for maintaining speed.
Furthermore, a durometer of 78a means that they not only do have the pliability of medium wheels, but they are also durable enough to promote stability as harder wheels do.
- The wheels are available in a variety of sizes to choose from, such as 52mm, 54mm, and 57mm.
- Because 54mm wheels fit properly on skateboards and slightly bigger wheels can handle rough terrain better, it is best for rough roads.
- Ideal size and softness for rough roads.
- Rolls smoothly over debris and cracks
- Trusted brand
- Versatile for rolling over cracks and debris as well as cruising
- Top-notch urethane construction promises comfortable and stable glides
- No color choices
- If you choose a 57mm wheel for a skateboard, then there is more chance of wheel bite.
The 4th wheel in this guide for rough roads is Freedare Skateboard wheels which work excellent for cruising and also fit for cruise boards.
They’re great for many early street tricks and can also do well on smooth concrete, skate park terrain, and asphalt without a hitch.
Made up of Polyurethane wheels that have got a greater load-bearing capacity. The installation is very easy as well. All you need to do is just place the wheels on the axle like regular wheels. And there you go.
As they will improve your overall riding experience without truck spacers or extra bearings, you’ll surely be attracted to these ones.
You may have trouble finding out the right set of bearings that are compatible with your new set of wheels. But, you’ll be glad to know that this set includes these and more.
Additionally, compared to others, bearing steel is pre-lubricated and this lubricated bearing steel is much better in speed and durability.
Overall, if you are on a tight budget but desperately in need of an upgrade, these CCS wheels won’t let you down for sure.
- Including bearings and spacers, you’ll receive 4 wheels that are already assembled.
- These wheels are more for cruising wheels. They’re too tall and too wide for smaller boards and tricks.
- The size of the wheels is 58mm in diameter which is perfect for maintaining speed with a soft 82A durometer.
- Suitable for rough roads, cruising, street skating, and concrete
- Maintain good speed
- The four wheels are already assembled with ABEC-7 high steel bearings and spacers.
- Features 3 LED lights activating when you move
- Offers a 6-month warranty
- Not for Advanced riders
- The bearings pre-installed in these skateboard wheels aren’t fast enough
Best For Speed
Well, if you are a speed enthusiast, you’re surely gonna love these Orangatang Caguama Longboard Wheels for Cruising.
With a large 85mm diameter, the Caguama rolls with unbelievable speed and plows over rocks, cracks, sticks, and the roughest terrains with amazing ease while staying comfortable and stable alike.
Moreover, the 56mm contact patch that is layered on each and every wheel assure excellent grip, when the subtly rounded edges allow you to move smoothly across cracks.
In addition to these amazing perks, you’re going to love how each wheel features a visible 46mm core that can absorb your weight while it allows you to accelerate quicker with increased momentum.
These wheels are incredible for longboard commuting, long-distance pushing, pumping, and carving. This proves that Orangatang Caguama excels anywhere you carry them.
Mind you, these amazing wheels are simply built to outperform and this is why they are trendy.
I can bet you will not regret investing in these wheels because both skateboard pros and beginners have extensively tested them.
These wheels will make a huge difference in the way your board performs! So, overall, as the pros outweigh the cons, they will be well worth the investment of your time and money.
- For your riding convenience, these beautiful wheels come in three durometers such as 77a (blue), 80a (orange), and 83a (purple). So, be ready for a plush but grippy ride.
- Each set of wheels also comes with Jehu V2 bearings with integrated spacers as well as speedrings.
- Their signature original Orangatang happy thane formula is plush, smooth, fast, and grippy too.
- With incredible stability and speed, it plows over rough terrain
- The core can absorb weight that allows you to accelerate quickly
- Contact patch can provide great grip
- Happy Thane Formula for a plush but grippy ride
- A bit expensive
- Incompatible with standard setups.
Much faster and slicker
Spitfire is another very well-known brand in the skateboarding world that is a crowd-favorite for making 100 percent urethane wheels. That’s awesome!
It comes with a full conical shape which makes sure resistance from flat spots as well as unparalleled speed.
With the diameter of 54mm sizing, they allow faster acceleration as well, while the 101a durometer results in a wide variety of products that will meet your all riding preferences.
In addition, these wheels are fast, grippy, and effortlessly shred through rough roads. After spending hours of skateboarding on rugged terrains with these wheels, they will hold up well and resist abrasions. Most importantly, they will not flat spot!
Plus, they are perfect for skaters of all skill levels, no matter if you are a newbie who is trying to skate for the very first time or a pro who wants to reinforce his setup.
These wheels feature a wide surface which makes them less intimidating to roll with. This gives you full control when running over rugged surfaces.
The wheels are undeniably good and come in an affordable price tag as well. So, give’em a go without wasting your valuable time anymore.
You can never find a brand like this anywhere else that does not compromise any specific quality at the expense of another. That’s why it is highly recommended.
- 100% urethane wheels make them extremely durable.
- Full conical shape makes sure FASTER speed.
- The wide surface feature makes them less intimidating to roll with.
- Top-notch construction
- Fast, grippy, and effortlessly shreds through the roughest asphalt
- Maximal shock absorption
- Comfortable and smooth ride
- Wobbling experienced because of defective molding
Best For Rough Roads
Since these wheels are made out of polyurethane, it is highly resilient and durable. These wheels are also very much able to take a beating and endure it very well.
Though they are extremely tough, they have got a 75% rebound rate for faster transitions and extra responsiveness. So, be prepared to feel the instant difference!
Plus, they are also designed in such a way that they can be used on an array of uneven or rough surfaces such as asphalt road, marble or cement road, etc, and even on half-pipes.
Therefore, to complement your setup, these wheels are sleek, compact, and nicely made.
With a diameter of 52mm and a durometer of 100A, these Josopa skateboard wheels are all set to ride rough terrains or roads.
You will be mesmerized seeing how efficiently they absorb shock and impact while keeping you stable and safe. Compared to other softer wheels, they are less grippy and bouncy. But, remember, they are faster.
Most importantly, each wheel weighs only 7.44 ounces and that’s why they are ultra-lightweight. This makes them a breeze to do tricks.
Both beginners and skilled riders can benefit from these wheels because they are superb starter wheel skates.
- Made out of high resilient PU, durable in use.
- Fine workmanship and a beautiful outlook make it attractive.
- Compact and delicate design.
- Hardness SHR-100A, 75 % spring back, suitable for basic skateboarding.
- Suitable for some rough grounds like asphalt road, marble or cement road or half-pipe, etc.
- Highly-resilient polyurethane assures durability for an extended period of time
- Compact, sleek, as well as finely crafted
- Efficiently absorbs shock and impact for stable and safe rides
- Less grippy and bouncy, but faster than soft wheels
- Incompatible with standard-sized skateboards
What to Look for When Buying Skateboard Wheels for Rough Roads
Skateboard wheels are the essential equipment for your riding. The wheels permit you to move, do tricks, and more things. It is the wheels that determine how smooth your travel will be.
Even a slight difference in the size of the wheel can change your whole skating experience. You should examine the following points to get the perfect fit wheels for you.
What Wheels Are Good for Rough Roads
Determine The Wheel’s Size
The first thing to consider before purchasing skateboard wheels is the wheel’s size. If you inquire about the size, then you will get different sizes available in the market.
The performance of your skateboard entirely depends on the wheels’ size. A slight difference in the wheel can make a huge difference in your skating. So, for a better skating experience, determine the perfect size wheels for you.
Check out this video
Determine The Wheel’s Diameter
The next thing you should determine while choosing the Skateboard wheels is the diameter. Actually, different size skateboard wheels are the skateboard wheels’ diameter. The diameter widths during the wheels’ size in millimeters and the range vary from 50-75 mm.
Here look at the skateboard wheels’ diameter. The 50-53mm wheels are small size wheels that offer a slower ride. With the 54-59mm size, that is the average size that is perfect for the starter. The 60mm + are large size wheels that are the ideal fit for longboards that ensure speed.
Determine The Wheel’s Durometer
The durometer of the skateboard wheels is the hardness of the wheels. There are two types of durometers available in the market. One is the soft surface wheel, and another is the hard surface wheel.
The softer wheel provides you with a slower riding speed. That is suitable for street riding, doing tricks, and more.
On the other hand, the harder surface wheels provide speeds in skateboard riding. The durometer is measured with the a or b grade. The most massive durometer scale is 100a. With the b grade, some manufacturers offer a b grade durometer scale for their customers.
Consider Your Skateboard
Check out the skateboard itself before purchasing the skateboard wheels. For example, you will need the small skateboard wheels for your street riding or to do tricks.
On the other hand, you will need larger wheels for your longboard skating. So, determine your skateboard type before purchasing the skateboard wheels. That will work fantastic for your skating.
Sometimes, you would not have any other way but to change your skateboard wheels to get the best performance out of the skateboard. Learn when to change skate wheels.
Determine Your Purpose
Now be sure about your purpose before buying any skateboard wheels. Because you should choose the wheels according to your skating use. When you want to skate on the street, then decide on the larger wheels.
But for the skating park or to do tricks, you should rely on the smaller ones. Your purpose of skating will also determine the wheel’s durometer.
Find Out Your Skating Place
The place is another important thing that needs to be determined. Choose your skateboard wheels according to the site of your riding. For example, you will need small size wheels to skate on the skatepark or ramp.
On the contrary, the larger wheels are essential for speed as well as rough road skating. So, determine your skating place before choosing the skateboard wheels for you.
Consider Your Style
What about your skating style? Confirm your skating style while choosing the skateboard wheels for you. Before doing tricks with your skateboard, select the right size wheels for you. That will give you support during the skills-performing time.
If you want to skate on the street, choose the right size skateboard wheels. And yes, don’t forget to pick an accurate durometer.
Determine The Contact Patch of the Wheels
Note down to consider before getting a new pair of skateboard wheels is the contact patch. The surface touching areas of the wheels are the contact patch. So, the contact patch is to scrutinize before purchasing skateboard wheels. The wider contact patch of the wheels offers more stability during skating.
Find Out The Width of the Wheels
Determine the wheels’ width before selecting any skateboard wheels. Larger wheels offer speed and stability during the skating periods.
It also prevents any accident from taking place. Choose the exact width of the wheels to experience better skating performance.
Determine The Shape of the Wheels
The shape of the skateboard wheels is also crucial. We generally notice skateboard wheels in two shapes in the market. With the shape of the classic wheel, it offers a comfortable grip as well as speed.
The other one is the shape of the conical wheel that provides a full contacting patch. That offers excellent performance in skatepark skating.
Determine the Wheels’ Brand
Now you need to choose the best brand of skateboard wheels. Many skateboard wheel types are available from different brands. Choose the best skateboard wheels brand by studying the quality of the wheels.
Different brands offer various services that are unique according to their features. So, choose the best skateboard wheels from the available brands.
The Core of the Wheels
The last thing to keep in mind before purchasing the skateboard wheels is the core of the wheels. You can get metal core wheels as well as plastic core wheels.
The metal core wheels are durable and easily adjustable to the skateboard. On the other hand, the quality plastic core is smartly flexible to the skateboard.
So, follow this buying guide before purchasing any skateboard wheels. That will help you to get the right as well as the perfect skateboard wheels.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- Which are the best skateboard wheels for the street?
With three different types, skateboard wheels provide riding performance according to their categories. For example, the softer wheels are ideal for street riders or cruisers.
Similarly, the harder wheels are suitable for skating on the skate park. On the other hand, the medium size skateboard wheels are ideal for street riders and beginners.
- Do you think 52mm wheels are good for the street?
The softer wheels with a 52mm diameter offer durable skateboarding action. The harder wheels also offer quality speed for its customers. That’s why you should choose the 52mm harder skateboard wheels for you. That will permit you to skate on rough surfaces.
- What is the process to clean the skateboard wheels?
Cleaning skateboard wheels is not a tough task to perform. You can easily get some cleaning materials at your nearby shops or online store. Most interestingly, you can make that happen with some simple home cleaning items like soap water, and citrus cleaner. To get a complete guide, you can read my other in-depth guide on this topic. Here it is.
We hope you read out this whole content on the 8-best skateboard wheels for rough roads. We hope you get overall information about these skateboard wheels.
That will help you to choose the best product that matches your requirements. Have a close look at this article and get proper instructions on how to buy new skateboard wheels.
Superior control, plenty of power, and feel of sensitivity! This is the way of gesture that Dave Weinbach, 49, thankfully expressed repeatedly in a few of his Paddletek Tempest Wave reviews....
Among the most popular skateboard brands in the world, Whitefang is a renowned name thanks to its variety of quality skateboards available with reasonable price tags. But the question arises – Is...